Friday 27 November 2009

It was those two men again. Always the same shadowy agents foiling me at every turn, and every loose end always sewn up. 

'Dammit,' I yelled. 'How can they be doing this to me?'

Jackie raised a perfectly-tweaked eyebrow. 

'To you?' she said. 

'To me!" I repeated, banging my fist on the table. 

'To you.' She laughed, shaking her head. 'I think you're getting to close to this, Leonard. You let things get personal, you're going to get hurt. You want my advice, just leave it be. Maybe you could come back to mine and let me see what's under that buttoned-up trenchcoat of yours, eh?'

She was mocking me. I didn't listen to her. 

'You know I can't do that, Jackie,' I muttered, through gritted teeth. She just laughed. 

Maybe she was right. I was taking things too personal. It didn't make a blind bit of difference. I was deep into this one, already.

Barely remembering my manners, I laid down ten bucks for Jackie's drink, and headed out into the street.

I stalked the rain-drenched streets, deep in thought, trying to work out how to get to these guys. 

I was still trying to figure things out when I walked straight into a lamp-post where there hadn't been one before. 

The blow smacked me right in the head, and I ended up on my ass on the sidewalk. As I tried to get my bearings, I knew there was going to be trouble.

"Oh dear." I heard a voice say from the shadows.

"Oh dear oh dear," came the response.

What came next wasn't pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment